What is the procedure for a
Corrosion or Oxidation Test?
- Expose a weighed coupon to the corrodent for a
known time, remove, clean to remove the corrosion
products and reweigh.
- Corrosion rate R is:
R = K W/Atd
- K is a constant (3.45 X 10 to the power of 6
for rate in mils of thickness loss per year.)
- W is weight loss in grams (to 0.001 grams)
- A is area exposed (to 0.01 square cm)
- t is exposure time in hours (to 0.01 hr)
- d is the density in grams per cubic cm
- If atmosphere or environmental at or near ambient
temperature, same test as corrosion.
- At elevated temperature, test is done in a
thermogravimetric analysis (TGA) set up.
- Temperature is controlled by a furnace.
- A controlled atmosphere surrounds a specimen coupon
on a very precise balance.
- Weight change is measured continuously and
is plotted versus time.